Sunday, August 12, 2012

Out With the Old and In With the New

     I was in my office at work when I heard some discussion in the hallway about the office furniture stacked in the corner.  Our building had been cleaned out of office equipment and furniture that had not been used lately or was damaged.  Several of us chose items that we could use at home.  Since my husband & I are finishing out a portable building for our home office/craft space, I knew we needed an office chair.  The one we have been using was damaged when I found it & it is out by the curb now. 
     One of the other items that I spotted was a vintage classroom chair.  I immediately knew what I wanted to do with it.  I wanted to make a girly chair for me and my daughter to use in the craft space.

It was in great condition with no tears or bends.
      The first thing I did was dismantle and clean it.  I had some lilac spray paint I got at a yard sale a few years back.  I tend to paint at our trash-fire-pit...it is away from our vehicles and buildings.
      While the frame was drying in out hot southern Mississippi sun, I was digging in my fabric stash for a coordinating remnant.  I have the same print in pink with purple accents, but I had used it already for a skirt and my scraps would not cover the seat.  It took no time at all to cut and staple the fabric to the cushions.

I was glad it was intact, because this would have been a bigger project if I had to remove the old vinyl & padding.






I screwed the pieces back on & it was all finished!













     In these photos the chair appears more blue, but it is actually more purple.  I am tickled that it was so simple & my daughter loves it.  As soon as we finish the inside of our building, we are setting up our spaces & moving our new chair in.  I look forward to spending many hours in our new space working on more projects.  Have you ever recovered or re-purposed furniture?  I would love to hear of your project stories.
God Bless,
Marla B.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for stopping by my pillow post. I wanted to let you know your comments are set to " no reply", which means there isn't an email address attached to your blog. I have a tutorial on the quick fix on my right side bar, if you ever want to change that.
    Take care,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Karen. I assumed it was just a privacy issue, not a contact issue. I have reset it and I will see how it works. Thanks again.

      Delete